Sunday, August 31, 2008

2008 TD50: Random thoughts

This is how I know I'm in advertising: Four of the six meals I ate Friday and Saturday were pizza.

I spent most of Saturday at Cactus, where I was helping a group of volunteers, interns and students upload all of the Denver 50 entries to the judging site.

Truth be told, I had a sneak preview of the work Friday night. I went through all the entries to troubleshoot discs, separate out all the checks, that sort of thing. The side benefit? I got to see all of the work you've been doing for the past 12 months.

This is what I think: The work is better this year. I'm not sure if it's because people get the show concept. Or if they've been inspired by the ad club or the Egotist or something. But there are several entries that I wish I had in my book. There are even a couple agencies who could argue they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Cactus, Factory and Sukle.

Here are a few other things I think, phrased cryptically:

• More agencies took the Own-Your-C Gamble this year.
• Everybody loves TD50, but it's never going to make much money.
• If we ask for a 4 Mb .mov, we'd rather not receive a 800 Mb file.
• Will the ex-McClain people get their revenge on Denver?
• Our TD50 party (I think it's Tues., Dec. 2) is going to rock.

You get no more intel out of me. I'd like to thank more than 30 brave agencies for entering the Denver 50. Best of luck to you all.

No comments: