Sunday, September 14, 2014

I need feedback on the design of my next book

I'm intent on releasing Regret Things soon. I haven’t touched the manuscript in months, except to insert links into the Kindle file. But I have been messing with my cover.

The image on the left was my first stab at it. I designed it to feel anonymous, choosing a common font and stripping identifying information. I wanted to play into the book’s themes of infidelity, ego and desperation. But a few things have made me reconsider my concept.

First of all, Sin Walks Into the Desert has been a consistent critical hit and a mild commercial success. While Regret Things isn’t exactly a prequel, Nicki and her little brother Sin show up in both books. It seems wise to let fans know the stories are related.

Secondly, I got some pointed advice (from Ty, among others) about selling books on Amazon. Readers want to identify the author and genre at a glance. Subtlety equals death.

And last, while the book takes place in locations across America, three of the chapters are set in turn-of-the-century Manhattan and they're the best writing I've ever done. When I saw a glorious photo of the city on Unsplash, I fell in love and wanted to see what it'd look like as a cover.

What do you think? Which design would make you want to pick up the book? If you're a guy, would you even consider buying a book with a hotel bed on the cover? Help.

5 comments:

Kevin Fleeman said...

We know the Microsoft SQL Server and we know how it really works. Sometims there we see some huge database and it will create problem and then this BLOB cache will help you to transfer it to another place. site to find out more helpful tips on writing.

aliyaa said...

This post tells us that you need to start with writing summary based on main ideas and objectives. Like this site http://www.thesiswritingservice.com/academic-papers-writing-guide/how-to-write-a-reaction-paper/ it will give you useful tips to write a brief summary of book.

try this said...

Your writing skill is so high. Really lovely your writing is. I just looking for some new information Always. It's my hobby to find out some new. I have a blog also. I maintain this. I share in my blog always some new thing.

Unknown said...

The reviews tell all of the things of the chara games as it is really perfectly said those factors relted to the whole game plan and plot. this post for your help and hope you'll love it.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog post, The teachers have a basic part towards the importation of data and progression of the preparation standard. Without advance in the spaces of scholastics, the progression can't be expert. You can click here and check many new ideas.