Sunday, November 15, 2015

The authors I keep giving money to

It's easy to give a mediocre book a three or four star rating and move on. I do it all the time. I don't want to tank anybody's average. A truer test of how much I like an author is whether I repeatedly trade cash for his or her books. In my library of paperback crime, here are the writers who have the most shelf space:

Six books: James Ellroy, Elmore Leonard, Raymond Chandler

I can't imagine I'd get much argument if I said these three were the holy trinity of American crime.

Five books: George Pelecanos, Massimo Carlotto

I'm not sure quite why I keep buying Massimo Carlotto. One of his protagonists is disgusting and the other is dull. But his matter-of-fact tales of perversion, corruption and treachery hooked me so hard I once read three of his books back-to-back-to-back.

Four books: Duane Swierczynski, Sjowall & Walloo, Gene Kerrigan

I'd buy more Gene Kerrigan books if he'd write more! The Rage is a breathtakingly intimate study of low-level gangster violence. And the Midnight Choir is epic story-weaving on the level of The Wire, with the most devastating ending of any book I've ever read.

Three books: Joe R. Lansdale, George V. Higgins, Richard Stark, Dennis Lehane, Paul Auster

I would almost certainly have more Dennis Lehane books if they hadn't all been made into movies. He's a good writer. I just know how most of his stories are going to end.

[Ed. - For more ideas on what to read, check on my Amazon list 11 Crime Writing Cornerstones.]

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You cannot say that geometry is that kind of easy piece of work now. it was that much tough like it was before and it will be. http://www.personalstatementwritingservice.net/best-personal-statement-example/best-dental-school-personal-statement-sample/ to get more ideas on the thesis, research and term papers writing.

Anynomous said...

Sometimes you need to pay more for a author as the work which has done by him is so effective and there has so hard work then. go to page is the best one place to know about the quality writing rules.

aliyaa said...

I read this article and come to know that students really need a site which can help them to make a best assignment. This is helpful link if you can open it and find useful points.

Abir said...

When I was a kid I really love to do the math and the mathematics is my favorite subject and this is why I always love to do math. http://www.sopwriters.com/ to check the recent guide and tips about the academic writing.

Unknown said...

You need to keep a author sometimes to get out the best writing piece for you and this is why you need to spend some money also. read this post the site for more ideas and tips about the educational information.

Sophie Grace said...

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant. I love it reading. picbear